Melitta is one leading manufacturers of coffee makers. Keeping your Melitta Aroma Elegance Therm clean and well maintained is essential to getting the best out of your coffee maker. It’s an easy way to ensure your coffee always tastes delicious.
It’s essential that you set the water hardness. This informs you how often the appliance needs to be descaled, as limescale can build up depending on how hard the water is. The appliance is pre-set for a high level of water hardness (level 4). You can find out the level of water hardness in your area by asking your local water provider or by using water hardness measuring strips available in the shops. You want to avoid limescale build up because it increases the appliance’s energy consumption as limescale on the heating element can prevent the water heating effectively.
How to Set Water Hardness
- Hold down the DECALC/HARDNESS button for more than two seconds. The red LED will start to flash. On factory settings the LED flashes four times.
- Press the DECALC/HARDNESS button to change the water hardness level. There are three other levels and the display will flash once, twice, three, or four times depending on the level. The settings and display are shown in table:
- Once you have set the desired level of water hardness, hold down the DECALC/HARDNESS button for longer than two seconds. The red LED will go off and your settings will be saved.
Please note: Water hardness cannot be programmed while brewing. The last water hardness level chosen remains even after removing the power cable.
- Use a soft damp cloth to clean the exterior.
- The jug lid, the filter insert, and the swivel filter can be washed in the dishwasher.
If the red LED is permanently lit this shows that the appliance needs to be descaled.
Based on the water hardness level you have set, the descaling programme should be run promptly after the DECALC/HARDNESS button lights up. The descaling programme is only available when the descaling display lights up.
- Follow the manufacturer's instructions regarding amounts and pour the descaler into the water tank. We recommend using Melitta® Anti Calc.
- Briefly press the DECALC/HARDNESS button. The red LED should begin to flash. (With the DeLuxe, the word “CALC” flashes on the display.) The descaling process will run automatically. It takes about 25 minutes. (With the DeLuxe, the time remaining is shown on the display.)
- Do not interrupt the descaling process, else not all limescale deposits will be removed.
- Once the process is complete, the DECALC/HARDNESS button light will go off. The appliance will turn off automatically and go into stand-by mode.
- Rinse the appliance through twice with the maximum amount of water without coffee.