Recipe: Earl Grey Tea Loaf Cake
This Earl Grey Cake Loaf is a fragrant loaf infused with tea in two ways and then brushed with lemon and honey while still hot. This will be the tea cake to have on the table for an afternoon snack with a cup of Earl Grey!
- 125 ml milk
- 6 T2Tea Earl Grey tea bags
- 115 g butter melted and cooled
- 45 g honey
- 150 g sugar
- 2 eggs
- 200 g all-purpose flour
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- zest of 1 lemon
- 40g sugar
- 25g honey
- 60ml hot water
- 45ml lemon juice
- Heat the milk in a small saucepan, and then steep 3 of the Earl Grey tea bags in the hot milk for half an hour.
- Preheat oven to 165°C. Grease or line a 9x5 loaf pan.
- If your honey is semi-solid, melt together with the butter. Using an electric mixer beat together butter, honey, and sugar. Add eggs one at a time and beat well after each addition.
- Add flour, salt, and baking powder and mix until combined.
- Remove the teabags from the milk making sure to squeeze out as much liquid as possible. Add infused milk, lemon zest and tea powder from 3 bags and mix until well incorporated.
- Fill batter into prepared pan and bake for about 1 hour until a toothpick inserted in the centre comes out clean. If the top is browning too quickly, cover with aluminium foil towards the end of baking time.
- Combine all ingredients for the syrup and set aside. Let the loaf cake cool in the pan for 10 minutes, then remove from pan and place on a wire rack. Poke holes into the top and brush syrup on while still warm.
- Store any leftover syrup in a glass jar in the fridge. A couple teaspoons of syrup make a great addition to a cup of brewed tea.
Let the loaf cool to room temperature before slicing into it!
Don't forget to check out our Tea Gifts for Tea Lovers!